Sunday, October 30, 2005

I Need Your Opinions, Please! And Fast!

"I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed."
- James Thurber

Just recently: I have my Interpreting I class tomorrow night, and I have to present a project called "My Voice." For this project, I have to find a poem, song or story that I can relate to and either interpret or transliterate it (use straight ASL or use Pidgin Signed English, which is using ASL signs in English word order).

Of course, I put this off until recently, because I thought I knew what I wanted to do. But the more I thought about it, the poem I wrote in high school that I wanted to interpret is a little difficult to interpret, and using PSE would just make it confusing to anyone who was deaf or didn't understand personification (which, I'm guessing, would be most of my class). So, I decided I wanted to interpret the song "I Love to Tell the Story (of Jesus and His Love)," which is the theme for Deaf Ministry in Kansas. The only problem was that I didn't have the music for the song, and I don't want to sing it in class while I'm trying to sign it. But I found a CD that has the music on it, so if I had to do that, I could.

The other option that I came up with was to do The Lord's Prayer, which is something that I had to learn to interpret to help my pastor friend with his home visits with a Deaf couple. But that presents another roadblock because it's a prayer, and I would be interpreting it in a public college setting, which could potentially be a bad thing. Especially since at least two of my classmates are Jehovah's Witnesses. Should I do it anyway?

You have until 6:30 p.m. Central Time tomorrow night to let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Can you ask your teacher, since he's giving the grade that matters?

I would think the Lord's Prayer would be less innocuous, even though it's a prayer, than "I Love to Tell the Story" for JWs. I had to learn the Lord's Prayer in Indian Sign Language a long time ago. :)

Devona said...

I think you should do the Lord's Prayer.

Your freedom of speech is protected so you can do what ever you want.

And anyway, it's a beautiful poem, simple and to the point, even though it's really a prayer.