Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Round 2 for the Post Office job

So, those of you who read my blog on a regular basis might remember this post about me taking the civil service test for a post office position. Well, in about half an hour, I'll be taking a typing test for the same position.

Come to find out, there's a new Remote Encoding Center in Wichita, and they're hiring for about 1,000 new positions. They only require a typing speed of 45 words per minute, but I can type about 65 or better when I get in a groove, about 62-65 when I'm not.

After the results from the typing test are read, they're going to take those who passed and will begin scheduling interviews. Now, because of my regular typing speed, I'm sure I'll get to the interview phase of the pre-employment menu. After that, we'll see if they hire me!

Okay! Keep me in your prayers! Here I go! I'll give you an update afterward, if I can.

UPDATE: So the typing test only took about 15 minutes. I was given a packet of pre-employment paperwork to fill out, and was told to report back to the REC on Saturday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m. for a pre-employment orientation. At that time, I will be scheduled for an interview.

Turns out that this is for part-time, temporary work of at least 30 hours per week. They're looking for people to work evening and early morning hours to begin with. This is not at all what I was hoping for.

What I need is a full-time position that utilizes my degree or other skills, and that I can work at during the daytime. Maybe (and I'm reaching here) this is just a position that they give people to see how well they do, and then maybe they'll offer me a better full-time position during the day.

Had I known from the beginning that this was a part-time, temporary position that I would have to work at night or during the early morning hours, I might not have even tried to test for it. I pray that something more comes of it. Please pray for me.

Ron is really growing unhappy with his job, and is trying to find something else, maybe in Wichita, maybe not. If I am able to secure this or another job in the near future, it will free Ron up to look for something else. He continually comes home upset, grouchy and irritated with the people he works with and for. He just needs to find a job somewhere where he can be appreciated for his skills and knowledge, and where he is given the opportunity to express those and achieve goals based on merit, not on the "buddy system".

Please pray for both of us. We're growing more miserable in our circumstances all the time, and are desperately crowded in a tiny apartment while we look for rewarding work.

3 comments:

Devona said...

Guys, I'm sorry it's rough. But it will get better. Rob's mom always told us when Rob was really feeling frustrated at work that the next opportunity always comes out of no where, and it's always better than what you expected.

Hang in there, we're praying for you. :hug:

Mommy's Resource Closet said...

Thanks, Devona. We're just frustrated because it's been like this the whole three years we've been married. We're wondering if we'll ever get a break. We'll keep you posted, though.

Anonymous said...

I came across your entry about the REC, and I too was surprised to learn that the benefits and permanent status didn't come immediately when I started there back in March 2000. At first, I didn't even like it, and it was supposed to be something temporary until I got something in the IT field (I was going to Butler at the time). But over time, I started liking it more (and IT less), and after sticking it out for 3+ years, I was converted to PTF (Part-Time Flexible) status in May 2003, and I finally got the benefits (and the daytime shift) that everyone wants. That first summer was rough -- I only got 16 hours some weeks -- but now I'm Full-Time Flexible, and still on days. I have friends and family that would like to work there, but they too are turned off by the fact that you don't get the full benefits right away. But I think everyone will at least get a shot at career status eventually if they stick around long enough...I've heard of people being converted to PTF shortly after being hired. But I see that you've decided not to work at the REC, so good luck with your job search!