Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My instructor's kit has arrived!

Sunday, after church, our church secretary told me that my teaching materials for my ASL classes had arrived. I immediately broke it out of the plastic wrapping and put my notebook together, looking over various parts of it in the process. Here are some of the contents:

  • The book itself in loosleaf format for placement in the binder
  • An instructor's guide, showing the suggested way to teach each session of the class
  • Student handouts, including course information, questionaires about stereotypes about the Deaf community and sign language
  • Lists of objectives that will try to be achieved in each unit (semester)
  • Information about Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD/TTY) and the Telephone Relay Service
That's just in the first unit! There is so much more that I will be able to teach and learn, myself, as I go through this book with my students! I also have a practice videotape that will reinforce the teaching that I do, and give more information than I can about signing and interpreting, the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.

My fourth Wednesday class meets tonight. I'm going to go through some of the items in my kit that have been suggested for the class up to this point. I'm really getting excited!

By the way, I'd kind of like to know what you think of these series of posts, so please vote in my new poll, even if this is the first time you've visited my blog and are considering whether to return. And if you link to me on your blog, please mention this poll so I can get a wide variety of respondents. Thank you, in advance.

No comments: