Wednesday, December 27, 2006

West Coast Posting

Since the evening of Christmas Day, my husband and I have been visiting with his family on the west coast. Although it's rainy here half the time, when the sky is clear, it's really very lovely. The view of mountains in the east, the smell of the ocean not too far away, and the knowledge that we might be able to see that huge wet oasis again is wonderful. (I've only seen the ocean once before in my life, and it was three years ago when we were last in this part of the country.)

Yesterday, we visited my husband's grandmothers, who are both in senior care homes. His maternal grandmother's doctor didn't give her more than just a few more months left to live, so we wanted to make sure we got up here to visit before it was too late. With prayers, maybe she'll be around long enough to see us have at least one child, depending on how long it takes us to start our family.

Saturday, we'll be having supper with my husband's paternal grandmother at the nursing home. When we went to visit yesterday, we looked over the menu and read it to her (she suffers from macular degeneration and can't see well anymore) so she could tell us when the food would be most appetizing. ;) She's a very sweet lady. Well, both grandmas are very sweet. I love them both.

My parents-in-law are wonderful people, too. I couldn't ask for more loving and fun in-laws. They love me and treat me the same as they do their own kids. And once in a while, they take my side over my husband's in a debate. ;) They're so cool!

I guess today we're going to do some site seeing. Mount Hood isn't too far away, the ocean isn't too far away, and I guess there are some really majestic canyons and waterfalls to see in this area. The landscape is so gorgeous, especially compared to my native Kansas.

Whenever my husband and I fly anywhere, I try to get a window seat on the plane so I can look out over the land below. I love looking at the mountains, the ocean if I can see it from my seat on the plane, and anything else that pops into my view.

This is a very beautiful part of the country, made more lovely by the family we're visiting. And although we're only going to be here for a few more days, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it that I can. Maybe next time we're in this area, we can come during one of the summer months, when, I'm told, there are lots of flowering trees and the sights are even more beautiful.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and I'll post more in the New Year.

No comments: