Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What a good-looking foot!


Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my foot.

This first one is my doctor's nurse cutting through the cotton that was wrapped around my foot/leg and the plaster bracing that kept it from moving.

This lady is wonderful. She has taken so many casts off of me and put new ones on, and is the same one who removed all the stitches I had. Fortunately, I didn't have any skin staples. Dr. Howell was nice to me. ;)

And, here is my foot, after the stitches were removed and steri-strips were put in place. The steri-strips are kind of like bandages that just keep everything in place after the stitches are removed.

You'll notice the "X" on my leg. They have to mark with an "X" or a "YES" the side that they're going to be operating on.

I have some residual swelling and bruising, but it's not bad. By the way, the yellow you're seeing there is bededine, not bruising.

This was a rather minor surgery, as I said before. All my doctor did was remove a metal plate and screws that were put in two years ago when he had to use bone grafting in the reconstruction of my feet. He also took off some bone spurring: some that resulted from that metal plate being loose, and some that had been there for years. In fact, the latter is some that the Shriners had considered removing when I was a kid, but were afraid that it would come back since I was so young.

I guess I'm not so young anymore. ;)

3 comments:

Mutti said...

You are so tough. It hurts me to see your foot, and yet you seem to take it in stride. How many more surgeries will you have to go through?

Mommy's Resource Closet said...

I'm thinking probably one more on the other foot. I will have to have the metal plate taken out of my right foot, maybe at the end of this year. After that, I pray I never have to have any more.

As for being tough, I'm not sure how tough I am for going through this compared to anyone else who might have to: I've been going through surgeries on my feet since I was 4 years old. It's all I know.

Just know that my foot doesn't hurt me anymore. That's the whole reason I had the surgery, so its purpose has already been achieved.

Mutti said...

Say what you will, but I think the T. in Mrs. T. Swede is for TOUGH!