Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It Pays to Wear a Collar

I went with a pastor friend of mine (one with whom I rode to the Deaf conference in Olathe in June) to the home of a deaf couple yesterday so he could do a home visit. Both people are deaf and nearing 90 years old. I went along so I could help interpret because the pastor doesn't know much sign language. (Thankfully, he's planning on taking my beginning ASL class that I'm teaching at my church starting in September.)

When we got ready to leave, he realized he had left his headlights on, and the battery wouldn't allow the car to start! We went back inside the house, back to the air conditioning (it got up to 100 degrees yesterday), and the pastor called AAA to come out to help.

The AAA guy who came said at first that the posts on the battery were corroded, and that's why it wouldn't start. But on further inspection, he discovered that the battery was about to die and might not make it much farther. He said that he had a battery on his truck that he could install for $109, and then he stopped and told the pastor that he could get the same battery at Wal-Mart for about $58.

We headed back to my apartment so he could drop me off before going to Wal-Mart, and we started talking about that battery sale that got turned around. I asked, "Why do you suppose he suggested going to Wal-Mart instead of buying the battery from him?"

He said, "I don't know. I think they make most of their money by selling things like that. Maybe he saw my collar" and decided to be honest.

I said, "I guess recognizing a minister with his collar can make people reconsider doing something they shouldn't do."

He laughed and agreed.

I really suggest that all the ministers reading this seriously consider wearing their collars more. Not only could it keep you from being swindled, but it really helps when people who need to speak to a minister in place of their own can recognize you for the divine position you have! Isn't it better, in situations like those, to stick out rather than to blend in?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience yesterday... but not quite as dramatic.

Richard said...

As a layman I will agree, It does serve as a reminder to us all. Also if I am out in public it tells me that this person is someone I can talk to.