Friday, December 14, 2007

Merry Christmas! It's not just another holiday.

Everywhere you look, people and businesses alike are putting up their decorations, getting ready for this wonderful holiday season, and yet so many refuse to say what that holiday is! Now, who goes around putting up Christmas trees, wreaths, Christmas lights and buying presents for one certain day except those who celebrate Christmas? Would Jews dare to put up those decorations or buy presents and wrap them up like Christians do? Would Muslims? Only if they wish to be persecuted. (Although I did hear on "The People's Court" one time about a Jewish woman who hated her Jewish neighbors so much she actually put a wreath on her door to mess with them.)

Even the television shows are getting their panties in a bunch, saying, "Happy Holiday" (oftentimes omitting the final "s" that would give the greeting the implication that they are talking about more than one holiday). It's not a "holiday party" or "holiday dinner" or "holiday get-together, it's CHRISTMAS!!! Those who don't want to have anything to do with Christmas can just ignore the whole celebration, but they must acknowledge that this is a largely Christian nation, and therefore, Christian holidays will be celebrated.

Stores and other retail outlets can be the worst. They send you their "holiday catalogs" and other advertisements, not mentioning at all for which holiday they're marketing their tactics. It really bothers me, and I'm not the only one it bothers. Of this I am sure. Case in point: "Merry Tossmas". I think I'm actually going to start endorsing the views put forth in that YouTube video to the point that I'll follow through on what that guy does: toss the "holiday" advertisements and catalogs, while keeping and looking through those that acknowledge that it's Christmas that's being celebrated. And those will be the only ones I consider buying from.

Will you do the same?

Support and celebrate Christmas, and endorse "Tossmas" with those who decide to ignore the Reason for the Season: Christ and the Mass that is celebrated on the anniversary of His holy birth.

2 comments:

Dan at Necessary Roughness said...

I'm split on this.

On the one hand, indeed, perhaps merchants should be more honest about the markets they are selling to. Some may be cutting costs by saying "Happy Holidays" and having a catalog they can give to customers of multiple religions. It may not be a denial on what is going on.

On another hand, the merchandising in the name of Christmas does taint the holiday somewhat, sometimes to the point where I am glad I can go to church and get my meaning of Christmas from there. With conditions as they are in the media, it is good that we know not to trust Disney with informing our kids about Christmas.

On another hand, the legitimizing of celebrations that have nothing to do with events, and putting those events on the same level as Christmas and Hanukkah chaps my hide. It has Hallmark written all over it, and it is as fake as Sweetest Day.

So I don't know what to do about it but pray and inform. If you have a co-worker who slams Christmas because of all the wrong-headed things we do in search of a good time, I'm sure you'll be among the first to provide a resource that gives that soul peace. :)

monergon said...

Mrs. Swede,
I understand the frustration and I find myself irked at times. However, because of the way Christmas has been exploited commercially over the past 100 years, my greatest hope is just to see our churches loudly proclaim what this time is about and preach the true Gospel loudly and clearly. I don't expect much from the culture as a whole anymore.